WorldCent Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BoE Official: Britons Hoarding Cash

5 posters

Go down

BoE Official: Britons Hoarding Cash Empty BoE Official: Britons Hoarding Cash

Post  AGgressive Metal Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:38 am

Looks like the British have had enough with the banking system:

BoE Official: Britons Hoarding Cash

(RTTNews) - More people in the UK resorted to hoarding cash over the past two years due to a very low interest rate and weak public confidence in the banking system, a central bank official said. Bank of England’s chief cashier Andrew Bailey said the total value of banknotes in circulation continues to rise, but their use in transactions is falling gradually.

In a speech to the Banknote Conference 2009 in Washington DC on Sunday, Bailey said, “From a macroeconomic perspective, sustained low inflation has increased confidence in the real value of the currency, while more recently demand for banknotes has risen during this recession, and particularly for high denomination notes, reflecting loss of confidence in banks, and very low interest rates.”

Total value of notes in circulation was around GBP 15 billion in the mid 1990s, while today it is around GBP 45 billion said Bailey, who is also the Executive Director for Banking Services. He noted that the value of notes declined to a low point of 2.4% of nominal GDP in the mid-1990s from 6% in 1970. But, it has since stabilized and then increased, noticeably over the past two years, he added.

According to Bailey, the pattern of the note issue as a percentage of nominal GDP reveals that something quite noticeable has happened over the last two years. He said two features of the current situation are lower levels of public confidence in the banking system and very low interest rates, which reduce the opportunity cost of holding banknotes.

The BoE official assessed that demand for GBP 50 notes picked up during the recession. The total value of GBP 50 notes in circulation has increased to GBP 9 billion from GBP 7 billion since the summer of 2007. He added that total number of GBP 5 notes in circulation has increased over the last few years but there is more to be done. “We need to see more dispensed so that they are less scarce and therefore they return to cash centres for sorting more often.”

For comments and feedback: contact editorial@rttnews.com

Copyright(c) 2009 RTTNews.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved
AGgressive Metal
AGgressive Metal

Back to top Go down

BoE Official: Britons Hoarding Cash Empty cash hoarding

Post  doble dot Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:53 am

When I told my dentist last week that UK was getting rid of personal checks soon, his astute response was "They'll go after cash next."
ending personal checks

Last edited by doble dot on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : get URL right)

doble dot

Back to top Go down

BoE Official: Britons Hoarding Cash Empty Re: BoE Official: Britons Hoarding Cash

Post  Pennysaved Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:07 pm

Do you think Americans are hoarding cash that way too? It doesn't seem people are quite as scared about banks as they once were.

Pennysaved

Back to top Go down

BoE Official: Britons Hoarding Cash Empty Re: BoE Official: Britons Hoarding Cash

Post  AGgressive Metal Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:11 pm

Most of the people scared enough to hoard cash are also smart enough to convert it to PMs for the long haul. Though I know that in Appalachia there are many people that do not even have bank accounts.
AGgressive Metal
AGgressive Metal

Back to top Go down

Post  HoardCopperByTheTon Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:49 pm

I hoard Bank Accounts.. I just don't keep any cash in them. What a Face
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardCopperByTheTon

Back to top Go down

Post  Pennysaved Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:54 pm

I actually know a woman at work who does not have a bank account; she said she doesn't trust banks. Then she told me she keeps her money under her mattress.....totally serious

Pennysaved

Back to top Go down

Post  twocents Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:52 pm

I personally don't see any reason to have any money in banks other than for liquidity of paying bills. Why put my money somewhere else for 0.1-0.5% interest and risk of fees. It is ridiculous. PMs are the way to go for sure.
twocents
twocents

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down