WorldCent Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Austrian 1 Schilling

2 posters

Go down

Austrian 1 Schilling Empty Austrian 1 Schilling

Post  Pennysaved Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:38 pm

I was going through the junk bin at the coin shop and he had a ton of Austrian 1 Schillings

They were 12 for $1 so I didn't buy them until I could do further research.

I tried to look up the weight and metal content online. Wikipedia has them as 91.5% copper and 8.5% aluminum and weighing 4.2 gms.

It appears from a metal investment that paying 8.3 cents a piece is not a good deal.

However, wikipedia has them listed as being equivalent to 0.0727 euros. It appears they would be worth investing in from the standpoint of converting to Euros. What do you think?

Pennysaved

Back to top Go down

Austrian 1 Schilling Empty Re: Austrian 1 Schilling

Post  Pennysaved Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:45 pm

Oh you may want to move this down to obsolete European currency. Sorry, still trying to get use to the layout.

Pennysaved

Back to top Go down

Post  AGgressive Metal Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:32 pm

I'd keep an eye out for the 5 and 10 Shilling coins - much better deal than the 1 shilling. Although you have to decide if you think you will ever have enough to sell online to someone going to Austria or in Austria. I looked in to sending the coins in myself directly to the central bank, and if I remember right, you have to have a European Euro-denominated bank account in your name in order for they to pay you - for 99% of people this is a non-starter since you have to jump through some hoops as a non-citizen. Personally, I have a few friends in Austria, so hopefully I can find a way to ship my Shillings for a reasonable postage price, let them take a percentage for their help, and have them recompense me the remainder in cash.

An additional consideration is the fact that since Austria has unlimited coin redemption, it is likely that the vast majority of the old coinage will be put into the smelter as time goes on, so I save all the AU/MS examples that I find.
AGgressive Metal
AGgressive Metal

Back to top Go down

Post  Pennysaved Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:26 pm

Is it worth buying the 1 Schillings? That is all I have seen in the junk bin

Pennysaved

Back to top Go down

Post  AGgressive Metal Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:30 pm

Pennysaved wrote:Is it worth buying the 1 Schillings? That is all I have seen in the junk bin

I don't, but I guess it depends on the price you are getting. Less than 10 coins for a dollar, no. 10 for a dollar - break even. 12 for a dollar, then yes. Just remember that the redemption is a fixed rate to the Euro, so if the Euro appreciates against the dollar you get a bonus, if it depreciates, you get a haircut.
AGgressive Metal
AGgressive Metal

Back to top Go down

Post  Pennysaved Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:14 pm

Yeah i got 12 for $1; now just what to do with them since I won't be going to Europe any time soon.

Pennysaved

Back to top Go down

Post  AGgressive Metal Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:28 pm

Well, its unlimited redemption, so just remember to bring them with you when you go in 2025 tongue
AGgressive Metal
AGgressive Metal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down